About This Course
Introducing the internationally recognized Grow Permaculture Full Online Permaculture Design Course with hands-on and mentoring, starting May 16, 2021!
Now more than ever, people have attention on creating more choices and resilience in their lives. We want healthy food, a clean environment, and security for us, our children and future generations. This course offers practical steps to achieving these things in your own life, regardless of your circumstances.
In this course you will learn:
- How to apply permaculture techniques to design your life.
- How to grow your own food abundantly and sustainably.
- How to increase your own abundance and quality of life while helping to heal the planet.
- How to create and deepen beneficial connections with nature and with other people.
- How to create a career using permaculture.
We have gotten many requests to offer an online version from people whose schedules don’t match up with our in-person courses or who prefer to study online. This course can be studied at your own pace, with a focus on your own site design. Creating the opportunity for a participatory and hands-on experience is important to us, so we include practical exercises that you perform on your own site. In addition we will have live Q and A sessions and personal mentoring with instructors and you will be able to share your experience with instructors and other students via photos, essays or videos.
We have added some exciting learning modules to the online version and other extras, including units with experts covering various topics. The course will address strategies for drylands, temperate, tropical and other climates based on the significant knowledge and experience of our instructors working in those climates and will also have bonus sections focused specifically on Florida/subtropical climate because of how unique the ecosystem is in Florida. Many of these techniques are very useful in multiple climates and we explain how and why.
Students will have an opportunity to self-test their knowledge, to join discussion groups with other students, to participate in question and answer sessions on Zoom (online video conference software) with instructors, and to get feedback from a personal mentor. In addition there are in-person modules for those who want that, and special sessions we normally can’t offer in person because of time and site constraints. We feel this exceeds the learning experience from an in-person course alone.
There are additional in-depth materials offered for each section of the course as well as a resource list where you can find more information on that topic and explore areas of interest more deeply.
Each student will complete a permaculture design of the site of their choice, working through it step-by-step to ensure you have an understanding of each step of the process. Upon successful completion of the course requirements, you will be awarded an internationally recognized certificate for the course.
Online Course Includes (minimum 72 hours of):
- Mentoring with veteran designers
- Hands-On exercises
- Videos of a variety of systems and how they work
- Written step-by-step instructions and other material
- Extensive subtropical plant lists and data, lists of recommended temperate, tropical and drylands plants
- Top resources for further study
- Test your knowledge with self-testing
- Exercises to increase your ability to apply the knowledge you gained
- Discussion groups and on-line community building opportunities
- Q and A with mentors
- Data and resources on permaculture careers
- Links to and data about quality permaculture networks that will continue to support you
- Internationally recognized Permaculture Design Course certificate upon completion
We are offering an early bird discount of $100 for the first 100 students, or until March 30, with a full price of $595 for this comprehensive online course.
The online course material will remain accessible to you.
If you want to get a head start on the Syllabus order the book:
Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison and Reny Mia Slay (Available online).
Optional In-Person Classes
Pick one or more days of in-person class on our farm:
- Site assessment - walk through a site assessment, slope, soil, and more
- Soil building - composting, vermi-composting, sheet mulch, hugelkultur, cover crops and more
- Water catchment - in soil, earthworks, ponds, and rain catchment tanks
- Food forests and food systems - How, when and what to plant
- Propagation, wild foods and medicine, and mushrooms
- Built environment and energy systems - passive heating and cooling, solar, rocket stoves, and more
- Community building - exercises to build community
Cost: $125 per day, $500 for five days.
Camping and food available with some schedules for an extra cost.
Schedules for these classes to be announced.
For those who already have a certificate or do not want a certificate but would like to access the course content, we offer a special price for this access of $195. You will not receive personal services such as mentoring or a certificate, but will be given full access to the course materials.
You may also purchase additional focused one-on-one mentoring in phone or Zoom consultation for a discounted price as a Grow Permaculture student. $70 per hour or $195 for 3 hours.
We offer special scholarships to attend this course for people in the 2/3 world countries who are doing community work. We have done this throughout our careers, and have volunteered thousands of hours to endeavor to share as many resources as we can with individuals striving to implement permaculture in areas hard hit by climate change, political unrest, and other severe challenges. When you contribute to our scholarship fund, we will be able to spend more time on this work and reach more people. We also accept scholarship and partial pay applications from people in developed countries; we strive to give first priority to ⅔ world countries.
Coming soon here: Continuing education after the PDC including Advanced Courses, Mentoring for the Permaculture Institute of North America diploma, and other opportunities.
Subjects covered in the course:
- Permaculture design ethics, principles and tools
- Creating abundance with natural patterns
- Nutrient dense "beyond organic" gardening and farming
- Grow more food with less work by working with nature
- Edible landscaping, food in small spaces
- Building rich, live soils
- Designing sustainable water use
- Greywater and rainwater catchment
- Building food forests
- Agroforestry and ecoagriculture, regenerative farming
- Composting and vermicomposting
- Organic pest management
- Natural building and regenerative building technology
- Reducing energy costs in your home
- Best forms of sustainable energy
- Appropriate technology
- Boosting your career with permaculture
- Regenerative economics
- Designing for climate change
- Choosing the right land for you
- Increasing quality of life through “placemaking” design
- Community revitalization and rebuilding
- Successful intentional communities, ecovillages and cohousing, urban and rural
Who benefits from this course:
- City planners
- Do it yourselfers
- Educators – homeschool, teachers, professors
- Green architects/builders
- Green businesses
- Green consultants
- Holistic and natural health practitoners
- Non-profit/community organizers
- People seeking a career change
- People who care about the earth and each other
- People who love healthy or simple living
- Policy makers
- Professionals (of many types)
- Recent college graduates
- Religious leaders
- Urban and rural farmers
- Vegan, raw food, slow food, and/or local food
- writers and journalists
- Yoga practitioners
Short video about what students say about our courses.
"This course changed my life forever. It changed the way I look at everything, and gave me tools to address problems I thought had no solutions. It reinvigorated my connection to, respect for and love of the natural world and increased my understanding of it tremendously. It made me feel powerful and able to change things rather than helpless or apathetic. It gave me hope again, a renewed purpose for life and so many tools that I never dreamed existed! It brought back magic to my life, lightness, and fun!” GH
"This course is the most exciting one I’ve ever attended because it’s all about finding solutions and connecting people together.” JJ
"I’ve had my permaculture friends tell me this course changed their life. I never understood why, or what the fuss was about, until I did the course myself. It is a paradigm shift to a much nicer and better paradigm. Don’t hesitate to do this course!” DM
"I really enjoyed the whole PDC experience. I knew I would, but it was even better than I had thought. I loved the detailed theoretical classes in which I learned how to build soil, how to make it faster than it would happen naturally, how plants benefit each other. I also liked the hands on experiences a lot, it made many concepts so much clearer. I enjoyed the teacher’s methods, and the warmth of the teachers’ helpers. It was a learning experience in every single level not to mention a great opportunity to meet nice people and grow. Thanks!!!” MM
"I am so grateful for your instruction, Koreen, truly a wonderful and transformational experience. I will treasure and put in practice the permaculture ethics & principles every day, integrating them in my immediate environment and eventually reach out to my community. Thanks again for the excellent course, honored to have your friendship and be a part of the Grow Permaculture tribe.” MO
"After participating in Grow Permaculture’s PDC, I feel confident that I can accurately evaluate a variety of sites and come up with integrated, sustainable designs.” LB
"The instructors have a wealth of knowledge and it’s clear they really want to share. I feel confident, after attending their PDC course, that I could make basic designs that would work well for any potential client. Knowing that they will review any plans encourages me to jump right in and design!” MN
"The unity of the group was awesome. The shared knowledge was very inspiring. Learning this way with the hands on demonstration, I could understand more of the school. And thank you so much for all your teachings and welcoming of my son in the class. Very grateful, DM”
"I would highly recommend this course, taught by Koreen and her associates to anyone who has great concern for the future of this planet and the destructive path it is on. Permaculture is the solution we have all been waiting for. As permaculturists, “We are the ones we have been waiting for” to save ourselves from ourselves. Koreen is incredibly knowledgeable and has experienced many areas of the world first hand. If you have been feeling at a loss and discouraged this is your last chance to educate yourself as if the earth herself were revealing her deepest secrets on how you can help her. This is what permaculture is. Grow Permaculture far exceeded my expectations, even after years of experience working with organic gardening methods already. This is just the tip of the iceberg on how much is available for you to learn as you will find out. The depth of how very differently agriculture and water management and land usage really need to be can’t be stressed enough.” SK
"Thank you very much for this amazing course. The setting was ideal. The fact of being able to practice on real ground was invaluable. The presentation was very lively and instructive and really opened my eyes on how good design takes care of both the earth, the people and creates a surplus without waste. I love permaculture principles and how thoroughly and thoughtful they are and how caring.” JB
"I am Graduate of Grow Permaculture’s Permaculture Design Course. I am very impressed with the quality and professionalism that I experienced during the course. I learned so much and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. It was a great balance of theory and practical training. I feel very prepared and confident going forward with the new knowledge I have. I have made some very big improvements in the way my company conducts business. Our business is all about tree preservation & creating a healthier planet. I acquired the knowledge and ability to create a “truly” regenerative company. I am very grateful for the expert knowledge, compassion and competence of my teacher & Mentor, Koreen. Thank you for creating a better planet one student at a time.” NN
"The value of this course is worth far more than its cost. The knowledge gained is really priceless. There is so much information provided that is life changing and really valuable. I was told that I can save more than the cost of the course if I use only a portion of the information provided. This was true, but what wasn’t said is that I got something from it that is really hard to put a price on which is life long friends, and a new, creative view about life.” CS
“The resource lists and further study are so high quality they alone are worth the cost of the course.” KH